Current:Home > MyTrial to begin in lawsuit filed against accused attacker’s parents over Texas school shooting -WealthGrow Network
Trial to begin in lawsuit filed against accused attacker’s parents over Texas school shooting
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 04:59:34
GALVESTON, Texas (AP) — A lawsuit accusing the parents of a former Texas high school student of negligence for not securing weapons he allegedly used in a 2018 shooting at his campus that killed 10 people was set to go before a jury on Wednesday.
Opening statements were expected in Galveston, Texas, in the civil trial over the lawsuit filed by family members of seven of those killed and four of the 13 people wounded in the attack at Santa Fe High School in May 2018.
Dimitrios Pagourtzis was charged with capital murder for the shooting. Pagourtzis was a 17-year-old student when authorities said he killed eight students and two teachers at the school, located about 35 miles (55 kilometers) southeast of Houston.
The now 23-year-old’s criminal trial has been on hold as he’s been declared incompetent to stand trial and has remained at the North Texas State Hospital in Vernon since December 2019.
The lawsuit is seeking to hold Pagourtzis and his parents, Antonios Pagourtzis and Rose Marie Kosmetatos, financially liable for the shooting. The families are pursuing at least $1 million in damages.
The lawsuit accuses Pagourtzis’ parents of knowing their son was at risk of harming himself or others. It alleges Pagourtzis had been exhibiting signs of emotional distress and violent fantasies but his parents did nothing to get him help or secure a handgun and shotgun kept at their home that he allegedly ended up using during the shooting.
“We look forward to obtaining justice for the victims of the senseless tragedy,” said Clint McGuire, an attorney representing the families of five students who were killed and two others who were injured.
Lori Laird, an attorney for Pagourtzis’ parents, did not immediately reply to an email seeking comment.
In a court filing, Roberto Torres, who is representing Pagourtzis in the lawsuit, denied the allegations against his client, saying that “due to mental impairment or illness, (Pagourtzis) did not have sufficient capacity to have a reasonable degree of rational understanding of or control over his actions.”
The trial could last up to three weeks.
Family members of those killed or wounded have welcomed the start of the civil trial as they have expressed frustration that Pagourtzis’ criminal trial has been on hold for years, preventing them from having a sense of closure.
Lucky Gunner, a Tennessee-based online retailer accused of illegally selling ammunition to Pagourtzis, had also been one of the defendants in the lawsuit. But in 2023, the families settled their case against the retailer, who had been accused of failing to verify Pagourtzis’ age when he bought more than 100 rounds of ammunition on two occasions before the shooting.
Other similar lawsuits have been filed following a mass shooting.
In 2022, a jury awarded over $200 million to the mother of one of four people killed in a shooting at a Waffle House in Nashville, Tennessee. The lawsuit had been filed against the shooter and his father, who was accused of giving back a rifle to his son before the shooting despite his son’s mental health issues.
In April, Jennifer and James Crumbley were sentenced to at least 10 years in prison by a Michigan judge after becoming the first parents convicted in a U.S. mass school shooting.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano on X: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Escaped Virginia inmate who fled from hospital is recaptured, officials say
- Drake & Josh’s Josh Peck Reveals He Almost Played Edward Cullen in Twilight
- Many in Niger are suffering under coup-related sanctions. Junta backers call it a worthy sacrifice
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese kicks off White House visit with Biden
- As online banking grew, mortgage lending regulations didn't follow suit. Until now.
- Cameron Diaz Has the Perfect Pitch for Best Dad Ever Benji Madden's Next Album
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Watch live: Maine mass shooting press conference, officials to give updates
Ranking
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Many chocolate products contain worrying levels of lead or other heavy metals, Consumer Reports says
- Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese kicks off White House visit with Biden
- Australian police charge 7 with laundering hundreds of millions for Chinese crime syndicate
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- European Union to press the leaders of Serbia and Kosovo to set decades of enmity behind them
- Rachel Zegler Brings Haunting Hunger Games: Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes Songs to Life in Teaser
- French league suspends Atal for 7 games for sharing an antisemitic message on social media
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
DeSantis is sending some weapons to Israel in move that could bolster him in the GOP primary
Israel releases graphic video of Hamas terror attacks as part of narrative battle over war in Gaza
I had two very different abortions. There's no one-size policy for reproductive health.
Could your smelly farts help science?
Victoria's Secret releases collection of adaptive garments for people with disabilities
At least 16 dead after gunman opens fire at bowling alley in Lewiston, Maine: Live updates
New organic rules announced by USDA tighten restrictions on livestock and poultry producers